Reason Clothing Vs. The Law

8.18.2013



As the huge shopper I am, online and offline, I have come across many cool designs that have caught my attention and that includes the witty t-shirts playing on designer names. They're one of my favorite real statement pieces and needless to say, I LIVE in them! Just enough sass for my wardrobe, easy and fun.

I had originally seen the "Ain't Laurent Without Yves" sweatshirt on tumblr (trendy fashion blogger wearing it, i need it, i got it, you know the cycle...) and decided to google it, I came across the REAL designer's website. I contemplated it for a while, and when they put the tank tops up on their site I jumped on it. As an avid ASOS shopper, I came across a t-shirt with the same saying written in a weird font, I really thought it was odd but did not think too much of it. Who knows, maybe it's the same brand, different design? Wrong.

It turns out, Reason Clothing is notorious for ripping off people's original designs. Brian Lichtenberg, and now What About Yves. Reason grabs designs from these brands, slaps them on cheap t-shirts, and ships them out to their stores and online retailers such as ASOS.com, Urban Outfitters, and Not Going Home. How can retailers as big as UO and ASOS with a just as big reputation to protect, carry these REPLICA items?

On the What About Yves blog, the company says this about the design theft:
When I first learned that Reason had ripped my ‘Ain’t Laurent' design I tried to be civil, I called up Reason's founder Phil Basis.  He gave me a load of BS and promised to not sell the design and that he would pull all current inventory.  Being the unoriginal PUSSY that he is Phil said one thing to my face and did a completely dick move behind my back. To date he has not made good upon his word.  - See more at: What About Yves
Good for them. Any designer of ANY item would be upset about someone stealing their designs. It doesn't matter the size of the company, whether they have a section at Barney's or not, theft is theft. I hate replicas or "fakes", as many people do. Not to mention, it is ILLEGAL.

On the Reason Clothing website under their "About" section, the company writes:

Founded in 2004, Reason Clothing is a full fledged menswear line committed to producing independent, quality, New York City based clothing. The brand’s range consists of t-shirts, caps, woven shirts, knitwear, premium denim, outwear, and accessories. Every piece of clothing released under the Reason Clothing label is designed, crafted, and inspected to ensure a quality product that can be enjoyed for years to come. Items are produced in very limited quantities and pieces comes individually numbered. - See more at: Reason Clothing

 I'd like to urge you all as my readers, do NOT purchase anything from Reason Clothing that is a stolen design. That includes all of their "Homies" and "Ain't Laurent Without Yves" t-shirts. They are ripped off designs and need to be pulled from stores. If simply doing the right thing does not make Phil pull the clothing, maybe a huge or complete loss of sales will. If you are a fan of the designs and witty shirts, purchase them directly from the brand themselves.

Brian Lichtenberg "Homies" shirts and other items can be purchased at the official Brian Lichtenberg website.
What About Yves "Ain't Laurent Without Yves" shirts and other items can be purchased at (as listed on website):
Kitson - LA
Colette - Paris, France
L'Avant Gardiste - Paris, France
Incredibles - Hong Kong
Smesh - Australia

Please do not contribute to Reason by purchasing these items from Urban Outfitters, ASOS, or Not Going Home. They are not inspired OR original, they are complete REPLICAS and illegal.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© THE SNOB All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger